Essential Driver Training
Essential Driver Training (EDT) is a mandatory training course that teaches fundamental driving skills to learner car drivers.
It is part of the RSA Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) scheme and is intended to improve road safety. I provide EDT Lessons in Co. Galway.
EDT is only part of the learning process however, you may need lots of practice and additional lessons to become a safer driver.
Why do I need EDT?
Studies show that young drivers and inexperienced drivers are more likely to die or be seriously injured in collisions, and EDT is one of several measures introduced by the RSA to help improve critical driving knowledge, skills and behaviours of new drivers.
If you are not required to complete EDT, you may still choose to take an EDT course, as it can help increase your chances of passing the driving test and will help make you a better safer driver.
If the issue date of your first B category (Car) learner permit is on or after 4 April 2011, in order to be able to sit your full driving test, you must first complete all EDT lessons.
What does the EDT Lesson consist of?
EDT Lessons are a course of 12 one-hour lessons. These lessons are designed to cover certain critical driving skills and improve your practical driving skills.
As you complete each lesson, I will record your progress in a specially issued logbook. Whilst practicing outside of lessons, you should have a Sponsor, an experienced driver (many learner drivers choose a family member), who will supervise your driving and track your progress in your logbook. You should practice with this sponsor as often as you can, until such time that you are comfortable behind the wheel. Additional EDT lessons may be required here.
Then on the day of your driving test, you should bring your completed logbook to the test centre, as it may be reviewed by your examiner.
How much does EDT cost?
A course of 12 EDT lessons is priced at €385. You can review our prices here. €35 is payable up front for the first lesson, and for each subsequent lesson, or you can chose to pay the full amount after the first lesson. Payment plans are also available upon request.
Benefits of EDT
Completing your essential driver training course will help you to:
- understand what it means to be a better safer driver.
- practice your driving skills in a structured way that is focussed on your own learning needs.
- develop lifelong skills that will make you a better safer driver.
Preparation for your first lesson
At your first EDT lesson, and each lesson thereafter, as an approved ADI instructor I will check your learner permit, and if you are using your own car, will check your car to make sure your insurance, motor tax, NCT and the roadworthiness of the vehicle are all in order.
I will provide you with a logbook that has your name, address, date of birth and learner permit driver number on it. You should bring this logbook to each lesson and make sure all the appropriate sections are filled out after each lesson.
EDT lessons timeline
- Lessons 1-8 must be taken in sequence, but lessons 9-12 may be taken in any order.
- Each of the 12 lessons in EDT lasts about one hour.
- We recommend that you leave at least two weeks between each EDT lesson to allow for further instruction, practice and learning. (optional)
- The EDT course is best spread out over six months.(optional)
What do the lessons cover?
Each of the EDT lessons has a particular objective. You should prepare for each lesson using the EDT Course Syllabus
The 12 objectives are:
- LESSON 1: Car Controls and Safety Checks
- LESSON 2: Correct Positioning
- LESSON 3: Changing Direction
- LESSON 4: Progression Management
- LESSON 5: Correct Positioning
- LESSON 6: Anticipation and Reaction
- LESSON 7: Sharing the Road
- LESSON 8: Driving Safely through Traffic
- LESSON 9: Changing Direction (More Complex Situations)
- LESSON 10: Speed Management
- LESSON 11: Driving Calmly
- LESSON 12: Night Driving
You can read more about the lessons in the EDT Learner Driver Information Booklet or the Sample Learner Logbook
Call Jimmy on 087 290 1027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get your EDT training started today.